An internet standard is a specification of a technology or methodology, created and published through the IETF (Internet Engineering Task Force).
Essential Skills & Abilities
- Understand standards, protocols, and agreed-upon rules developed by industry authorities
- Understand standards for programming languages, operating systems, data formats, communication protocols, electrical interfaces.
- Understand basic knowledge of governing bodies including ISO, IETF, and W3C
- Understand Open Systems Interconnection (OSI) reference model
- Identify difference between formal and de facto standards, and applicability of each
- Identify RFCs which are most relevant to websites and online systems