Localization refers to the adaptation of a product, application or document content to meet the language, cultural and other requirements of a specific target market (a locale). In addition to the user interface or documentation, it may also relate to numeric/date/time formats, use of currency, keyboard usage, symbols, icons, colors, varying legal requirements, and more.
Internationalization is the design and development of website content that enables easy localization for target audiences that vary in culture, region, or language. This includes enabling code to support local, regional, language or culturally related preferences, including date and time formats, local calendars, number formats and numeral systems, sorting and presentation of lists, handling of personal names and forms of address, etc.
Essential Skills & Abilities
- Understand design and implementation factors that differ by geographic location
- Understand and identify relevant legal requirements
- Understand when localization and internationalization add value
- Identify resources and tools that assist with localization and internationalization
- Evaluate web content to make it adaptable to meet the cultural, linguistic and other requirements of a specific region or location
- Prepare a translation/cultural adaptation strategy